NOK 3 million announced to boost diversity in the arts world
Arts Council Norway wants to contribute to greater diversity within the visual arts, and is looking for projects that promote collaboration, develop networks and create meeting places to bring about an open and diverse arts world.
How can the field of visual arts be expanded? This question formed the starting point for the call for proposals, which is now taking applicants. Arts Council Norway member and head of the organising committee for the visual arts, Rikke G. Komissar, explains:
"We wanted to explore this question and invited individuals and organisations from across the arts world to provide input. Both the institutions and the artists clearly expressed that collaboration, networks and meeting places create opportunities for broader participation in the arts world. We have therefore decided to announce NOK 3 million funding with this as a basis."
What is a diverse arts world?
The purpose of this call for project proposals is to create greater diversity in the visual arts world. This means an arts world where people with different social and cultural backgrounds, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, nationalities, ages and various functional differences participate as artists, curators and the audience. Of particular interest are projects that facilitate collaboration between new and more established actors in the visual arts world.
"How can we expand the conditions for the production and dissemination of the visual arts, photography and handicraft together? How can more people get the opportunity to create art and show it to an audience? How can artists and art institutions collaborate? These are important questions, and we look forward to reading the applications," says Komissar.
Who can apply?
The grant scheme is open to both individuals and businesses, and the guidelines for visual arts project funding apply. The following particularly applies to this one-time call for proposals:
- The purpose of the call for proposals is to strengthen diversity in the visual arts world. The scheme is particularly aimed at collaboration, networks and meeting places.
- Arts Council Norway is offering guidance in the form of individual online meetings.
- The applications are processed by the organising committee for the visual arts.
- Grants are given ranging from NOK 30,000 to NOK 300,000.
- Projects that are awarded grants will be invited to present the results at a seminar held by Arts Council Norway in 2024.